Sunday, August 13, 2006

AUGUST 30, 2006 "A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE"


Wednesday, August 30, 2006
A Woman of No Importance Current mood: cold
Last night I was rummaging through my extensive book collection when I came across one of my old favorites...I almost felt a slight pang in my heart as I grabbed it up and starting flipping through the pages. I read this book about three years ago when my ex husband and I were going through a rough time (actually the entire marriage was a rough time- but this time was pretty bad). I was taking a class called "Women in Literature" as part of my English minor- this book opened my eyes to the many truths about men and women. Not that I was completely dumb to the truths beforehand but certainly had become blinded by love (marriage) for a period of time. Throughout the book I had made markings and put post-it notes on parts I felt were pertinant for grasping the concept and theme of the book. I came acroos a highlighted quote- that also had a "post it" on it noting-"SO TRUE REMEMBER THIS- ALWAYS" It read- "Men always want to be a woman's first love. That is their clumsy vanity. We women have a more subtle instinct about things. What we like is to be a man's last romance" - "A Woman of No Importance" by Oscar Wilde. WOW!! I had forgotten this truth. I think that as women- that longing to be a man's last romance- gets us into trouble all too often. Why not just forget about love and romance- and decide- you know what- I love being single- I love not having a man in my house to pick up after, cook for and occupy my bed. It is so much less stress! Life is so much easier without a man! As for romance- that will come in when I am ready to meet the right person! So girls- remember the truth- embrace it- but just dont live by it- it saves a lot of wasted time, heartbreak, tears and stress!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment