Saturday, December 4, 2010

6 weeks & 12 pounds later....here we go!!

It is no secret that women who undergo IVF put on a few pounds before and during their cycle. With the fertility meds, injections and steroids in addition to the no exercise rule it is just inevitable. Sadly, I fell victim to the IVF weight gain...after 6 weeks of no exercise, meds, and injections I gained 12 pounds. Very disheartening when I had worked so hard before my cycle to lose weight and I had lost 15 pounds in two months.

I went for my first run Thursday and I was pretty much devastated at how out of shape I was! 6 weeks ago I could run 3 miles easily...NOW...I made it half a mile and had to walk the rest. I am hoping it's just because the progesterone is still in my system and I am still weaning off steroids BUT STILL how sad! I worked so hard to get in shape and starting is just UGH! But I know I can do it and I know I have to do it!

My goal is lose 50 pounds (yes I said 50 and yes I could certainly lose 50) by our cycle in July. This is completely realistic to do in 6 months. I am totally determined to reach my goal and be the healthiest I can possibly be. Being overweight is detrimental to your IVF success and even though I am not unhealthy I could certainly stand lose a few pounds. I am Hispanic so I have always been "curvy" but I know when I was 24 years old - two years after having my second child- I weighed 120 pounds and I would LOVE to be that weight again!

So back to the trail I go- running every other day and doing The Shred every other day. Greens, high protein and portion control. It is really simple when you think about it- just eat less and move more! I am blessed to be able to stay home and work from home which gives me plenty of time for exercise and meal planning. Thank you Lord for making that possible and giving me a husband who works hard to provide for his family.

As I embark on my weight loss and IVF prep journey I will share my tips and tricks on my blog. Losing weight is about A LOT more than just physical stuff it is emotional/spiritual too so I will be touching on that as well...there will be tears...so bring your kleenex! The strength to keep going will come from God and I know He will carry me through this journey as He has done from day one. It will be hard and there will certainly be times when I want to quit or give up but I know with my faith at the forefront I will win this battle.

Until next time friends, family and fellow readers...I am going to finish my Kashi Cinnamon & Honey Oats and Turkey Bacon then get Shredded with Jillian Michaels...that should be interesting!

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3: 5-6

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! That weight gain is the worst! Worse when you end up without a pregnancy! I'm sorry you gained the weight, but inspired by your goals and your positive attitude! Looking forward to reading your plan, I'm going to need it!!!

    ReplyDelete