Sunday, December 26, 2010

From Preemie to Perfect: Happy 11th Birthday to my son Dax!

11 years ago today I gave birth to a tiny little bitty preemie baby boy. At 3 pounds 3 ounces Daxon was born with lungs fully developed and breathing on his own- a feat the doctors warned me-for the 3 weeks I was on bed rest in the hospital- would probably NOT happen. I knew then he was special, he was a fighter and he would be just fine. He just needed to grow a little! Though I only got to kiss him on his little forehand and see him for a split second before he was whisked away to the NICU...I knew at that moment that my life would never be the same. I changed, I became a better person, wanting better things for myself and for my baby and I became driven to get those things and make his life as good as I possibly could. At 20 years old I fell in love like I never knew I could and became a mommy to a precious preemie boy! 11 years later he is healthy, happy and strong. He overcame being a preemie, a heart defect and childhood asthma. You would never you suspect that he was born a preemie. He is perfect in every way.

I am so thankful God gave him to me. The timing was not the best but we certainly made the best of the timing. Speaking of time, I teared up today thinking how fast it has flown by. Too fast! 11 years just does not seem right! I wish I could hit the pause button and keep both my kids from growing up. I love them so much and life is so good with them in it...everyday!

Happy Birthday to my 11 year old son Dax! What a blessing you have been and will continue to be! I love you with ALL my heart!

3 comments:

  1. So sweet! Happy (belated) birthday, Dax! I just love to hear amazing preemie stories like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes his story is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you have an 11 year old! Great post!

    ReplyDelete